Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bush Tree Thing

This is the bush tree that I keep referring to (close up to show the leaves):
I don't know what it is, but it has purple azalea like flowers in the spring. The problem I have with it is that it gets VERY sparse looking in the summer. Plus, it's just out of frame on the picture of where the tree used to be...which means that we start running into the problem of getting a new tree planted in the back yard when we really don't have any space. I say kill it off, the husband says keep it.

4 comments:

Annie in Austin said...

ID's from photos are iffy, so this is just a guess, Katina - some kind of Rose of Sharon/Hibiscus syriacus? The bark looks similar and check out this photo of the leaves. My Rose of Sharon blooms in summer, too, especially if it gets some water and compost and mulch.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

katina said...

Annie,

I think you're right. Thanks so much! The flowers we get look exactly like the purple ones (second option under the pictures).

man, you really are awesome--I doubt I could ID most of my plants just from the leaves.

Annie in Austin said...

It was the bark as much as the leaves, and I'm a very mature gardener, Katina!

I hope the ID can help with your decision. They're not rare shrubs, but if you like the flowers maybe you could try to root prune the Rose of Sharon now and move it in winter, the best time to plant a tree? The procedure might kill it or it might live, but either way your garden plans go forward.

Annie

The Spiteful Chef said...

After some very scientific diagnostic work, I've identified to at least a 60% certainty that your mystery plant is a stick. Possibly of the twig family.