Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Big Tree, oh noes!

One of the large trees in the backyard is dying.

We've known it for a while, but were trying to ignore it. We can't ignore it anymore. Mostly because it appears termites are eating the tree...which normally wouldn't be too big of a deal...except that the tree in question is the one that LEANS. I guess I should explain--the tree leans...or so it appears because the previous owners cut off one of the large branches thus causing the tree to be heavy on one side, so it compensated by immediately growing branches in another direction. But of course, the trunk, by then, was permanently stuck leaning toward the deck.

Anyhow, I will be contacting some arborists tomorrow to see what their suggestion is...

Check out the pics and let me know what you think:
backside of tree


"front" side of tree


Showing how the tree leans.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like it's doing the limbo. I'm no arborist, but from an aesthetic standpoint, the tree isn't doing much for you. The expense of removal is never fun though.

Bob said...

I like the looks of the tree as the shape is not normal, anyone can have a normal looking tree. The saw dust looking stuff might be from wood borers. I had Box Elder trees when we lived in Liberty Hill, and Box Elder borers would show up every few years and there would be dust at the trunk of the tree. A local Arborist said it was normal and not to worry.
I hope it's not to big a problem for you and you can save the tree.