Saturday, August 30, 2008

Boggy Creek Farm

So, I FINALLY went to the Boggy Creek Farm today.

I've been on their mailing list for a while, but had never gone out there. I told my Mother In Law about it approximately 8 months ago, and she said that when she comes out here next, she wants to go there. I decided it would be best to actually, you know, go to the place BEFORE she actually comes out.

Anyhow, today was the day we finally went. Every other time I've suggested it, Shawn's pooh-poohed the idea as I was participating in the Farm to Work program and was picking up fresh veggies every other week. I finally got bored with all the summer squash and okra, so I stopped ordering--at least until they start having something other than summer squash and okra. This of course means that we don't have any fresh veggies in the house.

At Boggy Creek Farms we picked up a green eggplant (a type that neither of us has ever had before), a head of garlic, 2 potatoes, a pound of ground bison, and a 2 oz bag of Larry's Smoke Dried Tomatoes. Our grand total was $29.04. Of course, the Smoked Tomatoes and Bison ended up being $17 of that $29. And the price would have been higher if Shawn had let me get the Chevre and Goat's Milk IceCream like I wanted. In any case, I don't foresee Shawn complaining about the price of the Farm to Work stuff for a while.

And, as a total plus, BCF has chickens everywhere. They've got chicks right now and they are so friggin' adorable. I especially liked the little yellow ones that had the ittiest-bittiest combs you ever saw.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Whew, that buffalo is some expensive meat. You need to make friends with someone who deer hunts so they can give you some free deer meat. Lots of hunters hunt but don't eat venison as it's not marbled like beef.[Marbling equates to fat which equates to.... well you know] My wife and I require at least three deer a year and four is better. It tastes as good as the bison and much cheaper. Just thought I'd give you food for thought.
Oh, if you buy any chicks and you want hens and not roosters let me know and I can tell you a quick and easy way to tell them apart.