Monday, January 4, 2010

Seeds: Planted

I didn't plant any seeds because of the upcoming freezes this week, but I did, as per the Gardening Bible, start my spring seeds yesterday:

2 Red Sevina Habanero
2 Green Zebra
1 Brandywine
1 Marvel Stripe
1 Orange Fogo Thai Chili
1 Yellow Bell pepper
1 Orange Bell pepper
1 Red Bell pepper
1 Beatrice Eggplant
1 Nadia Eggplant
1 Thai Basil

I was also looking at my companion planting and the reason behind it printout I found back in the day...

It appears I need to plant Marigolds (the smelly kind) to combat most insects and nematodes, Nasturtiums and Dill and Lemon Balm to combat the squash vine borer adults and Mums for nematodes (again).

Has anyone tried the Nasturtiums/Dill/Lemon Balm for squash vine borers?

2 comments:

ConsciousGardener said...

Wow, you know...I hadn't realized that I'd planted those 3 together but had been wondering where the vine borer was this year. So, I guess I did, and it worked! I have a huge culinary garden with lots of stuff in it and I forgot that nasturtium had that effect...nice entry, thanks!

Rock rose said...

Nasturtiums- I must try that one. I did have better success last year with squash. I covered the plants so the moth couldn't get in. Also my second crop didn't get the borer. Good luck with your seeds.I can't wait to start mine- but will have to.