Friday, October 3, 2014

All Hail the Monarchs

So a few weekends ago, I went to the Monarch Appreciation day at Zilker Botanical Gardens.  While I was there, I talked a bunch with the Austin chapter of Native Plant Society of Texas, I listened to two presentations about the plight of the Monarch butterflies (Monarch Waystations by Chuck Patterson, and Wildlife Austin Habitat Challenge for Pollinators by Meredith Gray), and I purchased plants with the proceeds going toward the the Monarch Watch and Xerces Society.  I also wandered around the various demonstration stuffs they had, such as this giant Monarch Bike:

The plants I purchased are Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), Mealy Blue Sage (Salvia farinacea), Shrimp Plant (Justica brandegeeana), Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica), Firebush (Hamelia patens), and Boneset (Ageratina wrightii/Eupatorium serotinem - as far as my research shows, these are the same plant?).  Or at least I THINK these are all the plants I bought because it was rainy when I bought them all and I put the plants outside on the deck after I got home so of course all the name stickers washed off. 

I any case, I planted the sage and the honeysuckle, and I have to find a place for the firebush since it's the normal sized one, not the "nana" variety.  The boneset and the shrimp plant will go over in the shady part of the yard, I just don't know precisely where...This is precisely why I have a plan.  But you can see how good I am about following plans...

3 comments:

Roberta said...

Good to know that there are some that will tolerate shade. I need a few for the spot under my office window.

debra said...

Will the tropical milkweed overwinter? I have one growing in my garden and it just struck me that maybe I should collect some seed or make a plan for the winter.

katina said...

Debra - I just let mine reseed, but I do not believe it is considered winter hardy here...