Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Bonsai

One of my coworkers had a bonsai tree for a few years.  He dutifully watered it once a week and gave it monthly fertilizer, but he also kept it on the windowsill at work.  The windowsill is a perfectly fine place during the winter, but during the summer it is brutal.  Really, the only plants that should be on the windowsill are those of the cacti - succulent variety.  So it shouldn't be any surprise that the tree finally got too hot and died.  I took the planter home and promised to plant it with plants that would be able to handle the windowsill.  This is what I came up with:


The fawn figurine is from Toys R Us (Schleich), and it was probably about $4.  I had actually bought it a long time ago for the bonsai tree, so I kept it with the planter (though I did think about switching it out for the Condor figurine that Schleich makes).  I'm not exactly sure which cacti and succulents are in this planter - except for the ghost plant which is in front of the deer, maybe the one behind it is some type of haworthia...but I don't know what type of cactus that is.  It's actually because of this fawn figurine (along with a baby hippo one I bought for a different coworker's succulent planter he made) that I've decided I should add some little extras to some of my planters.  I've already started with a little garden gnome, a swan, and a turtle I bought at the Zilker Botanical Gardens when I was there for Monarch Appreciation Day.

1 comment:

Claude said...

Thats very cute! The cactus looks like a Mammilaria fragilis, if its got a nice bright window itll have small white blooms over the winter.