Thursday, June 6, 2013

Spring Clean Up

There comes a time each spring (really summer almost) where I just can't stand the tangled mess of parsley that I have every year.  Parsley grows wild in our yard - mostly because I refuse to pull up any of it until it goes to seed.  I always claim this is "for the butterflies" but it really comes down to that the parsley is usually the first plant to bloom in the spring and it IS forage for the swallowtail larva, so thus the yard looks like a mess for quite some time.


Parsley Before

After reaching the point of "I CAN'T STAND THIS!" and checking everything over to make sure there aren't any beneficial insects on the plants, I start to cut them back until there's only one or two left.  This is also the time when I plant new plants (this year it was verbena, pink guara, and scabiosa).


After - one plant at the front of the bed remains.  The lanceleaf coreopsis is also dead headed and the Mexican Feather Grass is partially denuded of its seed heads.  It was during this process that I found out my Mexican Marigold plant actually did make it through the fall and winter (yay!).

2 comments:

Ally said...

I've never had any luck with parsley reseeding, but maybe I will this year. I have a big parsley that is blooming like crazy. I guess I'll have to put up with it for a while longer till it goes to seed.

In other areas of my garden, the more aggressive plants are swallowing up the little guys. Time to get out there and mediate the plant wars.

Vitamin G: Your Recommended Dose of Garden Shenanigans said...

Geez, Katina. I've never had any luck with parsley. This makes me want to try again though. My artichoke bit the dust in a spectacular manner this month - it bloomed and died. I can't even look at it, let alone pull it up and out. Maybe in the fall.