Saturday, April 11, 2009

Lady Bird Wildflower Center Sale

My friend, Bond, and I went to the LBWC plant sale today. The cost to get in is $7 (the fee to get into the grounds) and then the plants are obviously some additional money.

Bond didn't find any plants, but I did find the one I wanted; a Coral Honeysuckle plant. At a price of $8, I only got one. I have a bad track record with plants and I want to make sure I can keep it alive before I go dropping all sorts of money.

We also went on a guided tour about plant taxonomy, and learned some interesting things--like sunflowers are actually lots of little flowers all organized to look like one single flower, and that there's this plant called Frostweed that is fairly nondescript until the first frost of the year where the sap leaks out and then freezes in all sorts of weird patterns.

And, of course, as always when I go to the wildflower center, I left my camera at home.

2 comments:

Katharine said...

Oh rub it in, why don't you! I missed the sale this year. I am impressed with your self control/only buying one plant! I almost always go overboard at those sales!

Annie in Austin said...

I love my Coral honeysuckle, Katina - hope yours grows well and you find out that you love it, too!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose