Thursday, March 12, 2009

Finally, Rain

It's been raining off and on for the last 36 hours or so. It started at our house at about 530 in the morning on Wednesday with some big gusts of wind and rain blowing in the windows of the house. I had thought the rain wasn't supposed to come until later in the day on Wed, so we stupidly slept with the windows open.

And then, because it was so windy, I started freaking out about all my recently bought seedlings outside so I got up and ran outside to save them. in my underwear. Yep. you heard me.

I haven't gone outside to see how much rain we've gotten (mostly because it's been pouring in the mornings when I leave, and by the time I get home it's dark, cold and wet). But it's gotta be in the 2" range based on the amount of ponding we had in the backyard when I got up today...

1 comment:

Gita said...

You might be interested in a new book, Rain Gardening in the South: Ecologically Designed Gardens for Drought, Deluge & Everything in Between. It includes extensive lists of plants that are especially suited to southern US regions, including many that are drought tolerant. Its a how-to guide to rain gardens for the home gardener interested in water-wise gardening, offering detailed info on design, installation and caretaking of this lovely way to curb water-pollution, harvest rain water and go-green in the garden. Available at www.enopublishers.org. and book stores.