Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fall Gardening

I got the gardening bug today. Okay, not really the 'gardening' bug as much as the 'container planting' bug.

I went to the Red Barn, mostly because it's closest and it's not Home Depot and got 2 bags of Lady Bug Garden Soil, 2 small Turk's Cap plants, a cyclamen, a flat of pansies (I don't know where I'm going to plant that many pansies), 2 snap dragon plants, 3 strawberries, a 6-pack of spinach, carrot seeds and a 6-pack of maroon bluebonnets.

I've already got the strawberries and 2 of the spinach plants in a planter, and I put the snap dragons, a bluebonnet and a pansy in another planter.

I plan on drilling holes in the bottom of one of those plastic cat litter buckets and planting carrots and 2 more spinach in that. (I'll wash it out first, of course)

And I'll probably put the remaining spinach and some of the bluebonnets and pansies in another planter.

The Turk's Cap is meant to go in the "shade garden" otherwise known as "the dirt patch where nothing grows because of lack of sun", as is the cyclamen. I think I'll put the cyclamen in a planter though and put it over in the shade area, mostly because I doubt it's in any way cold hardy. I'll probably also totally baby the Turk's Cap this winter to give it a better chance of making it through.

And yes I know it's totally the wrong season to be planting some of this stuff (the bluebonnets, turk's cap and probably the cyclamen), but when I get in these moods, I just can't help it. And so, I baby the plants through the winter instead of just waiting until the spring to plant them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a fine season to be planting bluebonnets and Turk's cap---and most other plants except for cacti (which I just did). Go for it!

Ellen Kirby said...

Liked your blog a lot. Thanks for the reminder to plant my veggies in containers. Of course, it's colder here so we will see. I just put up info on fall gardening and prep. for winter. Check it out. kirbyplant.blogspot "How I Love to Garden". Ellen

Anonymous said...

I've had good luck with planting perenials in late fall. I planted lantana only a few weeks before the first freeze last year and while the tops died, they came back from roots in the spring (I was surprised since I thought they'd need longer to get established). My turk's cap looks horrible now since it has been so dry, but it lives through anything. It will get chopped back after the first freeze anyway.