Saturday, October 30, 2021

Gotta plant while the sun shines and the wind don't blow

 Woo-ee. It has been a crazy windy few days down here in Austin.  It did blow in a cool front, but, dear lord, did it blow.  I had empty plastic pots that were pushed from one end of the yard to the other, and they only didn't go further because of the fences. As one point, the large plastic dog kennel we keep outside for the cat got blown to the other end of the deck.

So now, with the sun shining, a few days after a nice rain storm, and while the wind isn't blowing, is a great time to do some of that fall planting.  I planted shallots in the east garden (and labeled the area, thank you very much), planted some Lady Jane tulips by the bird bath and in the front close to the irises I got from Sheryl, and some Tinka tulips next to my purple iris bed and by the "Lucinda's iris" in the hell strip. Also finished off planting the gomphena from Jenny, and the Mexican Bush Sage and Marilyn's Choice Abutilons I bought from Barton Springs Nursery last week. 

Still on the lookout for big tooth maple (small size) to replace my dead Arizona Ash and a Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum to replace the Rough Leaf Dogwood and Carolina Buckthorn trees that I ripped out.

Also - if you haven't already done it, now's the time to cut back that Mexican Milkweed (the one that blooms orange/red and doesn't seem to die back as quickly as the other milkweeds). I just counted 5 monarch butterflies on my shrubby boneset which means the migration is well underway.

Behold: my fish! A gift from Roberta for my 40th birthday last weekend.  Now I just need to get the columbines to paint around it and like 2 more fish to make it all look intentional.


No comments: