Here's a picture after I planted it in 2012:
And here's a photo after the first year:
And from December of 2014 (the last time I took a photo):
The petunias only got more out of control - like to the point where they were completely shading out the irises, so I decided they had to go. The problem with the petunias, however, is that they can be a bit problematic to pull out because the stems break easily. This means that the best way to get rid of them is to dig them up. Considering that it had also been 4 years since I planted the bed, I figured it would be a good time to separate the irises anyway (those that had survived in any case). All that to say that bed now looks like this:
Since I think I need something a little taller in the back, I'll plant some milkweed (or really just dump some milkweed seeds in the back and hope they do well).