Sunday, December 27, 2015

Mother Nature

So Mother Nature has decided that we weren't to have any freezes here in north Austin until late in the year - like I don't remember going quite this long before getting a freeze.  We may hit freezing tonight (predicted low of 34), and we'll likely get a brief freeze tomorrow as well (predicted low of 33).  And of course it's coming in with some rain which means that the sheets I put out are soaking wet and the Christmas lights on the plants keep tripping the CFGI on the outlet. 

Now you may be asking WHY I have Christmas lights on the plants - and I really only have Christmas lights on 2 plants - the tomato plant and the mum plant that has a queen chrysalis on it.  To be fair, the added heat isn't for the mum. 

This is the latest I've ever had a tomato plant; and it is loaded with green tomatoes. I may end up having to make Jenny's famous Green Tomato Chutney (which is very good); but I was so hoping to get some ripened tomatoes.  I just wish I had paid more attention to when the plant was flowering because then I'd have a better idea of when I should be expecting the tomatoes.  I feel like it was in early October because I was expecting them to be ready around Christmas-time...

4 comments:

Sharon Tomlinson said...

Your green tomatoes will totally ripen inside the house. And still taste great. I brought green tomatoes in last year in early November and ate them as they ripened. I still had some for Christmas.

Roberta said...

Katina, my neighbor is still getting tomatoes as well. Can you believe it? I just pulled a beautiful big eggplant off of my last Nadia. It's been in the ground since March and it's still been able to produce. I could do without the cold this year as I'm already feeling old and creaky enough.

Debra said...

It has been such a nice winter so far. I even saw some henbit flowering nearby already. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Pam/Digging said...

I expected a freeze this week, but now the forecast is looking warmer. Doesn't bother me. I'm happy not to be hauling my succulent pots in and out of the house every week or so.