Tuesday, November 10, 2015

San Xavier del Bac, AZ

My grandparents are quite the go-getters; we did at least 2 things each day. After Titan, we went to San Xavier del Bac which is a few exits up the highway from G&G's house. I remember visiting San Xavier 15 years ago when G&G moved to Arizona; I think they've done a lot more work on it - especially on the outside because I do not remember it being so white.  Also, all of these were taken with my cell phone.  MY CELL PHONE!





San Xavier has this cute little Alley with various cacti, agave, and other xeriphytic plants.

Totem cactus



White washed wall.  The thing that would have made this photo perfect would be if I had captured the scroll on the left in its entirety.

Just to the west of San Xavier, there's a small prayer room which has a zen garden (for lack of a better term) in front of the building.



Santa Rita prickly pear



Saint Mary statue with cacti/agave

San Francisco effigy.  Worshippers will attach the totems and then lift the head - apparently only the righteous are able to lift the head.

Altar

Another angle of the altar

Looking back toward the choir loft







G and G in front of San Xavier

Sunset looking west

Sunset looking east.  This also is a good indicator of the size of yards in my grandparents' retirement community - these are the front yards - no grass, only xeric plants, and tiny.

2 comments:

Pam/Digging said...

Beautiful scenery and architecture! I've never heard of this town. I'll have to look it up.

Pam/Digging said...

Oh, I didn't realize it was in Tucson. Darn, I missed it when I was there last spring!