Thursday, April 17, 2014

On why I'm so slow.

Sorry for the lateness of all of the upcoming posts.  So far behind...so very far behind. Though, to be fair, it's not like I didn't have some very good excuses.

The first Saturday of April I took Strider, one of the Dogs Out Loud dogs available for adoption, to McKinney Falls where the bluebonnets were just AMAZING.  Also saw some wild clematis (which was kinda cool... and it made me want some, so now I gotta find a place for that).

Strider.  He is the dog I'd get if my husband would let me have a dog.  You can read more about him at the Dogs Out Loud page here: http://www.dogsoutloud.org/adoptables/strider/

Who's a good dog?!  Strider is!
In the end we hiked about 4 miles since I originally planned to hike the "homestead loop" but then decided I didn't want to cross the river when it looked like it was going to be raining, so instead we walked over to the Onion Creek Hike and Bike trail.  I think Strider was kinda glad when it was all done - but the point is that he did the whole thing and seemed pretty okay with it (which is good considering that I'd like to take him on a 5k run in a few weeks).

Then on Sunday I ran the Cap10k.  It was my first time doing the race, and the first time I'd ever done 10k.  Since I ran all over the course while Shawn was doing his XTERRA race the other week taking photos, he ran all over the course of the 10k taking photos of me.  GREAT.

The following weekend I spent Saturday morning reading a book and cleaning all of my bird stuff (and contemplating getting a feeder specifically for the woodpeckers, and upgrading my hummingbird feeder to something easier to clean).  THEN I went to the East Austin Garden Fair.  Where I didn't take any photos, which I'm sure all the Master Gardeners are happy about.  But I did get to spend a few hours talking with Vicki, Meredith, Sheryl, Caroline and Daphne.  I missed Ally, though she had to have been there because she always works the chicken table, though maybe she was at home with her new puppies.  After the EAGF, I picked the husband up on our way to visit his parents for a pre-Easter get together.

Sunday, I spent most of the day doing Floodplain Outreach at the Colorado River Alliance Family Festival.  Afterwards, I decided to reward myself with a trip to BookPeople (mostly I was looking for a book titled "Bones would Rain from the Sky," which I didn't find, so instead I got a book of Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales and a true crime book about a serial killer in Paris in the 1940s.  Eclectic tastes, I have them.)
 
So... all this to say that I'm going to be writing a (very, very) late post for April Wide Angles, and a (very) late post for bloom day/foliage followup.  And of course the upcoming weekends aren't looking to be any less hectic - Pints for Pups and Change for Change are this Saturday in case you're looking for something to do.  I'm going to try to go to both (especially since my favorite pup is going to be at Change for Change).

3 comments:

Vitamin G: Your Recommended Dose of Garden Shenanigans said...

That all sounds like so much fun (except for the parts where you were running). I think I missed the bluebonnets this year. So sad, because Arrow would look fabulous in a sea of blue flowers.

Ally said...

I was at the EAGF. Sorry I missed you. I must have been taking a break. Your husband should totally let you have a dog :)

katina said...

@Ally - I should have started bigger. If you want a dog, ask for a horse. If you want a horse, ask for an elephant. Though to be fair, it's not like this is a new turn of events. He doesn't care for dogs - but it's funny because he's such a good dog handler.