Monday, July 11, 2011

How to separate seedlings

Guess what I found? My point and shoot camera! Okay, it's not like I lost it. It's more like I forgot that I had photos on it. Photos like me separating and transplanting seedlings. Something that I meant to do a "How To" on. So, here it is, 5 months late:

Step 1: Prep the containers you're transplanting to (in this case a 6-pack esque thing and some 4" x 4" pots). I used seed/cutting mix. Also make sure to bring over your seedlings.

Step 2: Label all of your pots. This is especially important if you're pulling multiple types of seedlings.

Step 3: Use a stick or dowel or skewer to poke holes in your soil mix. It would also be smart to get it kinda wet. (this is so it doesn't repel water...dry dirt tends to be hydrophobic for a while and you don't want your seedlings not getting water). You are poking holes so you can get the little seedling roots into the new pots.

Step 4: Grasp your seedling by its leaves. ITS LEAVES. Plants can regenerate leaves, they usually can't regenerate stems. use the dowel/stick/skewer to loosen up the soil around your seedling.

Step 5: Place the seedling into the prepared pot.

Step 6: Use the stick/dowel/skewer to gently pack soil around the roots.

Step 7: Wash, Rinse, Repeat for the rest of your seedlings. Water (I use a spray bottle at first because I don't like bowling over the little plants). Place in protected place out of full sun for a few days until the seedlings recover.

2 comments:

Alma Delia in SA said...

This is a really nice post for beginners...great job!

NotSoAngryRedHead said...

I hate separating seedlings because they look so close to death for at least a few hours. :(