Sunday, January 16, 2011

Foliage Follow-Up: Jan 2011

On the 16th of every month, Pam at Digging asks us to look at the foliage in our yard as opposed to the flowers. And let me tell you, in January, foliage is about all you have.

I moved my two passion vines I had bought to a different location, but then this has popped up in the old location. I've read that passion vine can also spread via runners and so this is likely an offshoot from the old plant. I'll be moving this to the new location at some point in the near future.


My potted succulents and cacti. I haven't babied any of them this year (last year I pulled in the ghost plant every time the temperature dropped below 40). These plants all came from Bob at Draco Gardens.


Here's my avocado tree that I grew from a pit. It's almost 6-years-old and is obviously way too big for the pot. The husband has stated that we are to plant it rather than re-pot it. I've been covering this plant with a sheet every time it might possibly freeze, plus it's in a VERY protected area right next to the house.


And here are all my freeze sensitive plants - Plumeria and Lemon Balm in the very front, agaves and succulents in the low green pot (the largest is from Jenny at Rock Rose while the small ones are from the plant that died at my office), and I have garlic chives, lemon balm, and a yellow hot pepper plant that I'm trying to save through the winter so I can get some peppers off of it in the background.

4 comments:

RBell said...

My in-the-ground ghost plants have done fine with the lower temperatures (even surviving last year's 18 degrees with a towel thrown over them). I bet yours will be happy.

Caroline said...

My passion vine did the same thing yours did when I moved it! I"m jealous of your avocado tree -- it looks awesome. Has it ever borne fruit? I

Pam/Digging said...

I leave my ghost plants outdoors (in pots) all year too. I lost some last year, but they aren't bothered by light freezes at all. Thanks for celebrating foliage with me.

Rock rose said...

I don't think you will have any problem with the lemon balm surviving the winter. It is about as hardy as they come. I will always have lots of that to share in case it dies.