Thursday, January 8, 2009

Victory Garden

So, I know on this blog I tend not to talk about my personal family stuff, or the economy, or anything other than gardening related activities. Today I will digress because it's my blog and I can do what I want.

We, fortunately, have not been hit hard by the collapsing economy. The husband and I both have jobs that pay well, a house, clothes on our backs and money for food. The down-turning economy hasn't really hit our families (yes my father in law was laid off over a year and a half ago and he still has not found a job, but my mother in law makes just enough to keep them from having to raid his 401k). Yesterday, one of the engineering firms in Austin laid off 30 of their employees. This was the 3rd or 4th round of layoffs for that particular company. And this time people I actually have worked with were let go.

This occurrence made me want to dig up the entire back yard and plant a huge vegetable garden.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I would be more than happy to make you enough brackets to build you a couple of beds. I have plenty of the right metal and it would take hardly any time at all to drill the holes. Keep them around till you scrounge some lumber and screw them together. We don't live that far apart so I'm sure we could get together some how. If you want some just Email me at bobatdraco@hotmail.com. I get into Austin every once in a while and could drop them off some where for you. I don't mind at all.

Rock rose said...

Go for it, you'll love the result.

ConsciousGardener said...

It will be a victory garden whether you need it or not...do it!