Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tomatoes

No, my tomato plants did not do well. I finally pulled them out about a week ago (they were attacked by leaf miners). But it just makes me so sad to see my Mom's and her neighbor's plants growing 6' tall and covered in tomatoes.

of course, they are in Colorado, not Texas, so they had a much better growing season for the tomatoes this year. And from back when I had a garden here, I do remember that you either had a 'squash year' or a 'tomato year' meaning that either your squash plants did awesome and the tomatoes sucked, or vice versa. And I know Austin has that, too. The only difference was that in Colorado it almost seemed that you could predict at planting time if it was going to be squash or tomatoes. Which probably means it has something to do with it being a hot summer, or a cooler summer.

And of course the problem in Austin is that it's ALWAYS a hot summer.

3 comments:

Tina Poe said...

I hate leaf miners, they attack my tomato and my basil, and now my new mint plant as well. I keep spraying but they just keep coming back. Jerks.

Rock rose said...

Sorry you had a bad experience. You have to get the toms. in early here so that they are finished fruiting by June. Then it's time to start a whole new crop. I had a bad year too but mostly because I was gone and the leaf footed bugs got into them. Try again next year you'll probably have a fantastic crop .

Unknown said...

Hope you try again. I had a horrible spring, but the fall is shaping up great for my tomatoes. But literally not ONE tomato in the spring. who knows why?

Squash did fine until the borers moved in. Then it was U G L Y.