Sunday, March 29, 2009

Zilker Garden Fest and Draco Gardens

I met my friend (and coworker!) Bond at the Zilker Garden Festival on Saturday. She had likely been there for about an hour by the time I showed up . I arrived at about 330 and we walked through all the vendors, then headed over to the food station because I hadn't had lunch yet. A fajita, kettle korn and strawberry limeade later, we headed back to the vendors to purchase our plants. Bond bought a rock rose and I bought one batface cuphea and two passion vines. Had I known how many non-plant vendors there would be, I would have probably tried to buy Christmas presents 8 months early. We also walked by the kid's corner and decided that next year we are going to 'babysit' some of our friends' kids so we can get free plants (the kids were given a free plant if they went to every Zilker info booth).

Then today I went out to visit Bob and Lyn at Draco Gardens (my God I love visiting these people! they're so entertaining!). Bob had messaged a while ago that he had some plants for me if I wanted them, and I, being native plant deficient, said "absolutely!" (I mean really, how many Asian Jasmine plants can someone put on their property? the answer is 20...and that's just in the front yard--no it wasn't me, it was the previous owner).

I didn't realize that it would get me like 10 plants. Plants like Gregg's Mistflower, Turk's Cap, Giant Petunia, Artemesia, Rock Rose, and Rosemary and probably a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head now. While I was out there, Bob said that he'd get me some Beautyberry, Flame Acanthus and Zexmenia at a later point in time (when he has them). But the joke's on him, see? I was just lamenting this morning about how I totally forgot to look for a beautyberry at the Garden Fest yesterday.

1 comment:

bond said...

Garden Fest was great!! I intend to go next year, but I will bring more cash (or a checkbook) and a box or small cart to hold the plants. Thanks for joining me and sharing the kettle corn (mmmm so fresh!).