Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sales and a New Bed

Today was a busy garden-filled day.

We went to the Austin Organic Gardeners' plant sale (bought a Black Krim tomato and Brandywine tomato plant). The only reason why I got the Krim was because Annie at the Transplantable Rose said she was growing them, and she really likes the tomatoes.

We then went up to the Sunshine Community Gardens' plant sale (bought Viva Italia, Roma, BHN 444 tomato plants, Red Manzano pepper, Large Red Thick Cayenne pepper, Corno di Toro pepper, and finally a Cloud 9 eggplant).

Now then, I don't know if, when we went to the Sunshine sale a few years ago, we went closer to the end of the sale or if they've just started growing more plants to sell. But my goodness! there were so many plants--when we last went, we didn't have very many choices at all--there were no peppers, or eggplants, and the tomato section was very picked over. This year, we went at noon and there were definitely some varieties that had already sold out, but there was still PLENTY of selection.

So after the plant buying, we went to Home Depot and bought lumber and dirt for the new bed. And then promptly used the rest of the afternoon building a bed using the brackets Bob at Draco Gardens was nice enough to make for me (Thanks again!!), leveling it, and filling it. We ran out of dirt, so I need to buy some more tomorrow, and then I think I'll probably plant stuff next weekend as well as install the soaker lines (also from Bob).

I shall do a more in depth post about the new garden bed, and post a picture of it tomorrow.

No comments: