Saturday, March 28, 2009

Pictures of Hail

I lied. I do not have any photos of the garden right after we planted it. This is because I was going to get tomato cages and then take a photo, but I haven't gotten tomato cages yet, so there is no "Post Planting" photo.

And Shawn was the one that took the photos of the hail, so he took photos of the most impressive stuff, and since the garden was relatively unscathed (except for the aforementioned eggplant), there wasn't anything impressive. Plus all the hail was gone in the garden by the time he got home (though according to my supervisor who lives close to Spicewood Springs Road, he said that in his garden the hail penetrated about an inch into the ground because it was nice good soft soil and not all hard and packed down, thus it looked like there was no hail in the garden).

So here are the photos that Shawn took of the hail:

The front yard area. I remember driving through the neighborhood and thinking it looked like it had snowed.


The backyard area right outside of our door. There's a wee Mountain Laurel seedling in the middle of the wrapped hose (it did survive and is actually looking great now). There was still hail in this area the next morning when I woke up--not much, but the point is, it was still there.



Here is the obligatory hail size photo. Shawn took this photo at 6 pm, and I think the hail stopped in our area around 530 or so. By the time I got home at about 730, this stuff was pea sized. My supervisor was actually home when it started hailing at his house, and he got hail that was about egg sized.

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Yikes! We didn't get any hail, just a serious downpour in East Austin. The rose I have in front looked a little defeated, but thankfully the little veggie plants in back and little wildflowers starting to bloom in front seem OK.