Thursday, August 2, 2012

Grow Box Tomatoes

As most of you know, I created a grow box for my tomato plant this year.  I don't know what type of tomato plant it is, but I'm guessing some heirloom - one of the purple or black varieties, based on look and flavor.  Furthermore, the number of tomatoes I've gotten off of one plant has far surpassed the number of tomatoes I've gotten off of multiple plants.  So yes, I'd have to say that I'd do the grow box again if given the chance - hell, I might even make some for my inlaws as Christmas gifts this year.


I don't remember the total number of tomatoes I've gotten thus far - I took the picture after we had already eaten three, but that picture was also taken like a month and a half ago or so, and I know we've had more tomatoes since then, so I'd guesstimate that we've gotten about 12 or 13 tomatoes from one plant (compared to my previous record of maybe 6).  Most of the tomatoes are about 8-9 ounces, and they crack like crazy even with constant access to water.  The plant currently has another 6 or so tomatoes on it - all that rainy weather we had with cooler temps allowed more flowers to set fruit.

2 comments:

LindaCTG said...

Thank you for this great testimonial! Now I'm adding a grow box to my list. Lovely tomatoes you have there, too.

Cat said...

It's nice that your efforts paid off. Like Linda, I'll need a grow box for Christmas. Maybe you should start a little side business ;)