Saturday, November 7, 2009

Garlic: planted

After soaking 5 cloves of 5 different garlics overnight in a baking soda water solution, and then soaking all the soaked cloves in rubbing alcohol for another 3-5 minutes, I am glad to say that I have planted the garlic. Obviously not all of it, so I may be doing this dance all over again shortly.

Since this blog also doubles as my gardening notebook, I'd better make a note of which garlics went where (lest I end up in the same situation as Vertie).

Using metal garden marker stakes that Bond got me for my birthday, I opted to write numbers instead of names--mostly because they are reusable, and I want to reuse them. Each stake is placed front and center of each garlic square.

Numbers, names and description written on the bag:
1 = Burgundy: A Creole Garlic, Very rich garlic flavor - Mild/Mellow pungency when raw - Harvests in mid-season - Stores 8-10 months.
2 = Kettle River: An Artichoke Garlic, Rich mellow garlic flavor - medium warm pungency when raw - Harvests in early-mid summer - Stores through winter.
3 = Shilla: A Turban Garlic, a rich garlic flavor - warm pungency when raw - harvests very early in season - stores through fall.
4 = Korean Red: An Asiatic Garlic, Mildly rich garlic flavor - very mild pungency when raw - Harvests in early-mid season - Stores 5-6 months.
5 = California Early: An Artichoke Garlic, Rich mellow garlic flavor - medium warm pungency when raw - Harvests early in season - Stores about 6 months.

As noted earlier, I got all these in the sampler pack for growing in Texas from Bob at www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com

I went ahead and added one Korean Red clove and one Shilla clove to our breakfast potatoes this morning. Because there's no way I can tell a difference between one type of garlic and another when they're mixed in the same dish, I did sample a small raw piece of each. It's amazing how the pungency really is very different between them. I first tasted the Korean Red and said "hmm, that's a little 'hot', not very though." and then I took a taste of the Shilla and was like "wow, that's hot! and it tastes like garlic garlic."

1 comment:

Austin School Garden Network said...

Hello Katina,

We'd like to notify you that the Austin School Garden Network website has launched and we've included your blog on our blog roll.
The Austin School Garden Network is a collaboration of groups, agencies and individuals dedicated to reconnecting children and nature. The purpose is connecting Central Texas community resources to promote the social, nutritional, environmental, and academic benefits of school and youth gardening programs. We have included a local gardening blog section to help new gardeners learn more about gardening in our area.



For more information visit our About Us page.
http://www.austinsgn.org/about.htm

Your blog is linked to from our Gardening Blog page.
http://www.austinsgn.org/gardening_blogs.htm


If you would like us to remove the link to your blog from our website please contact, Lisa Anhaiser at laanhaiser@ag.tamu.edu.


Get growing and keep going!

Austin School Garden Network