Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Motion

This month's Gardening Gone Wild photo contest is about capturing motion in a photo. In other words, it's something that I generally consider a 'bad' photo. Of course that's not to say that I don't love it when other people do it, but when I do it I think it doesn't look very good. But then, I probably am just harder on myself than I am on others. And I always look at a photo I've taken and think "motion blur (bad)" as opposed to "motion blur (cool)". The best motion blur photos I think I've ever taken were done unintentionally: I somehow managed to get my point and shoot camera to create these awesome blur photos when I was in New Orleans; I have never been able to get it to do that since. For this project, I took a crap load of photos, but never got one that I really absolutely love, but I think some of it is the angles that I had to use and what have you (I mean who really wants to see a downspout on my house?)

I took a trees in the breeze photo which I like, but there's very little motion in it:



In the end I ended up deciding that one of the many feather grass photos best showed motion:


I still don't like how grainy it looks in the small photo - much better at the embiggened size...

2 comments:

Rock rose said...

Yes, feather grass is a perfect subject for the competition. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I really like the color and movement. I think you did a fine job. Good luck!