Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cicada

And another post that Wizzie would like. This particular creature is on one of the petunia plants that Bob at Draco gave me at the beginning of the spring.

I went outside at dusk to make my rounds of checking on which plants needed water. When I got to this one, I freaked out some because of the crazy green bug on the plant. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a 'hatching' cicada and ran back inside to get my camera.



Top view. Taken 10 minutes after the above photo. Taken from this angle so you can see the wing nubs.


It's finally out of its shell and is waiting for the wings to fill with blood i assume (similar to a butterfly). Taken 5 minutes after the one above.


Two minutes later the wings are 'fully inflated' and it appeared that it was hanging out for its exoskeleton to harden before it flew off. At this point it was getting pretty dark out (this last picture was taken at 8:25) and I figured I couldn't wait around any longer just so I could attempt to take a picture as it flew away. But still, I'm such a nerd, I was all excited about it and made my husband come out and see as well.

1 comment:

Bob said...

THAT is just way cool. You really got some good shots of the whole sequence. They don't eat after they get to adult hood so at least you don't have to worry about that.