As we were preparing to go on vacation (to Santa Fe, New Mexico - don't worry, there will be a blog post about it), Shawn was working out and I had the brilliant idea to start a new project. We had a bunch of Asiatic Jasmine around the Dr. Huey rose which died off in the "great drought of 2011". I had been leaving the dead plant because it's a pain in the arse to remove Asiatic Jasmine (even if it is dead), and I figured it was providing some amount of mulch-type-cover for the rose. My mother and father in law came over the weekend before we left, and since they made some comment about the dead plant, I figured that meant it was time to actually get rid of it.
For the hell strip I used the neighbor's mattock to cut through and rip out the jasmine, for this project I just grabbed our rake because I had figured my real goal was to just rip off the leaves. The rake worked better than I hoped and I was able to actually pull out the whole plant.
The plan is to plant some zexmenia in the area (mostly because I think the flowers will go nicely with the roses. Of course, as per usual, I started the project before taking any pictures, but I'm sure you get the idea:
More pictures to come when I plant the other plants in the bed.