Sunday, January 23, 2011

Updates

On the garden front:
-I planted the fennel.
-I transplanted most of the tomato seedling starts into 4" pots. I have one left to do.
-I bought marigolds at Home Depot for $0.50/6-pack. I will plant these in the garden in the area where I had the tomato with nematode problems.

On the experiment front:
-I want to try growing ginger (Zingiber officinale). I figure I can use the pot from the avocado tree...once I get the avocado planted either in a different pot or in the yard.
-I also want to try growing saffron (crocus sativus)
-Plus I still need to do potatoes and quinoa again...Maybe I just need to build a whole new "experiment garden". hmmm....

3 comments:

Tina Poe said...

Oh fennel! I tried one last year and it didn't make it. Maybe I should try again :)

Paul said...

I had an accidental fennel grow after I went to an indian restaurant and gobbled too much saunf (their fennel/spice blend at the door for bad breath). I spat the quid out on the way into my house and a fennel plant appeared there a few months later. But the caterpillars eventually finished it off. That boy held on tight, though.

(Grocery) Ginger will grow well, too, moreso in the ground than potted. And the dried foliage smells SO nice! Like cardamom, but sweeter.

Cat said...

Curious how the saffron will do...