Monday, September 1, 2008

Fall Garden

It seems Shawn has agreed to help me with my new endeavor for a garden along the north fence. The biggest problem we have is that this area is lower than the rest of the yard--the yard is fairly flat, but for whatever reason, about 5 feet from the fence it starts to drop off. This, of course, will need to be rectified. I just want to do simple wood framed raised beds, but Shawn has a thing for rock lined raised beds...I don't know, maybe it's some sort of "I man, AR-AR-AR" type thing that he feels the need to haul rocks everywhere.

Anyhow, this will be a fairly large project, and the deck really really needs to be stained before we do a new garden, and since its just so hot outside, it may have to wait until the end of October. (We are taking 2 vacations, each a week long and about 2 weeks apart. Since I feel so bad about asking our neighbor to cat sit as it is, I'd feel horrible asking her to water the plants so they didn't die. So I just won't have anything that needs watering.)

3 comments:

The Spiteful Chef said...

I didn't know you had an effing blog! I totally would have been all about it. Now I have to catch up, but I will tell you for free that I won't be attempting any gardening in San Antonio. There are too many killer insects and incidences of heat stroke. And I prefer to fuel the economy by hiring illegal immigrants to do any major landscaping overhauls. I still admire you for doing it.

katina said...

Silly goof! I've even got two. Because I am just that lame.

You should try an Earth Box in the spring (Which is in like February/March. They're actually super easy and I had a good run with one in Colorado.

And trust me, we're only doing major landscaping overhauls because the grass tends to die off in the middle of summer without water. So my solution is to get rid of it. Don't need it anyhow.

You should read LR's post about grass. Hi-lar-ity. http://wwwrockrose.blogspot.com/2008/08/no-grass.html

Bob said...

I think your right about the rocks being a man thing. I've hauled about 80 tons of rock into my place and am still hauling more in. Oh, yeah, hoist up rocks,look at the bulging muscles, it's good to be a man. Oh damn, whimper, I think my back just went out.